I have 75 Smoke Detectors in my lab. Therefore my experience with these bugs is more than I hope for?
Problems with Smoke Detectors:
1.They require more attention than is necessary,
2 If one goes off then others will also go off, so it is very time-consuming to find the single smoke detector that is causing the problem.
3. Manufacturers keep changing the electrical connectors every few years, so one cannot depend on an easy replacement installation.
4. I found that it is best to take down the smoke detectors in an empty house.
5. Smoke Detectors in an empty house announce to the world that no one is home, so bad people know which house to enter.
6. Smoke Detectors are not needed if, no one is sleeping in an empty house.
7. Most of the time problems with smoke detectors start with dead batteries, or batteries that have been installed incorrectly.
8. Smoke Detectors , I have found , last about 7 years before they need to be replaced.
9. Smoke Detectors are a pain in the behind. If they save your life, then they are worth it.
10. Carbon Monoxide Detectors are another problem. Start by asking your fire department , if your Carbon Monoxide Detectors are installed correctly. Most home builders don’t know how to install them. Enough said bout this.
I you have pigeons perching on your roof ridge, you want to read this.
Pigeons are on your roof ridge for a reason. This is their look out perch. They are up there to watch out for danger. I live in a community surrounded by houses that have their roof designed with long roof ridges. Rarely do pigeons perch on my roof ridge so I tried to analyze why this was so.
Now I don’t have spikes or bird b gone gel on my roof ridge but the pigeons don’t like my ridge. This is what I believe is making them avoid my roof ridge.
When we purchased this house, I was a crazy Master Gardener, so I planted 250 plants and dozens of trees around the house. I think that pigeons don’t like my ridge, because the trees block their clear view of on coming predators. We have small hawks in this neighborhood so these pigeons want a clear view of any approaching predators.
I will keep watching out for this but I believe this is why they do not perch on my roof ridge. Trees are a cheap solution to Pigeon Control.
Two areas of current research.
1. The Vinegar and Soap method.
2. Water softener Salts.
We have found Vinegar and Soap to work very well. In Arizona we have the sun to make this method work. We do not know if this method works in parts of the world that are not sunny.
Water softer Salts is a current experiment. Vendors of Weed killing chemicals told us that most of the chemicals require a major salt component.
So we decided to define a weed prone area and spread Water Softener Salts over it. We need a full growth season to see if this method is any good. The price for salt was $4.35 for a 35 lb bag. If the salts keep down the weeds this method may be a very economical method for controlling weeds.
The Arizona Economy is causing an increase in people stealing whatever the can. Lock everything down, document everything you own and make sure your home looks lived in.
More on this later.
It is now very cold in Arizona and snow is falling at the 3000 foot level.
Here we need to look for roof damage and for moisture inside homes. Mold is a problem here. Mold can be found around shower tubs and under sinks.
We have seen mold grow in home that have been empty for a while.
You are at the home of the best home watchers in the USA.